Thursday, April 19, 2007

April 18 - The Ride Begins

Well today is the day when my ride across America begins. I will be riding to the start of the America by Bicycle ride in Hermosa Beach California. Hermosa Beach is south of Los Angeles, almost 500 miles from Berkeley. My plan is to ride to the meeting place in 4 days. Today the goal is to get to King City, about 160 miles from Berkeley. The ride stated out very well. It was cold, but clear and with a wind from the north, always a good thing. The first goal heading south is Grizzly Peak, 5 miles from my house and the highest point on my ride to Hermosa Beach. While there will be a few harder climbs none will be as high. The view San Francisco, the bay, and the Golden Gate Bridge was as good as ever and it was sad to think that I may not have any better view on the rest of my trip.

The first 25 miles were in some great park land, then 65 miles of city riding through San Jose and the environs, before 70 rural miles to King City. Everything was going great; my wife Karen was following me in a sag car. I was 65 miles into the ride. Then I hit a log in a bike lane and crashed. No broken bones, or severe injuries, but road rash and a very sore knee. Karen was several miles ahead. So the only thing for me to do was see if I could ride and then ride so that I didn’t become so stiff and sore that I would be unable to continue. I was very lucky and I know it.

After getting through the urban sprawl, I was able to ride through a California valley that almost no one knows even exists; there is a stretch of state hwy with no services for 75 miles. Just rolling farm and ranch land. It was truly awe inspiring. I’m sure that I could not live 20 miles from the nearest gas station, 30 miles from the nearest grocery store and 80 miles from the nearest cultural center. But if I had to pick one road to ride a bike on this would be high on my list and I would have no regrets if this were the only road I could ride.

Unfortunately, after 130 miles prudence forced me to get in the car and ride the last 30 miles to King City. I hope to feel better tomorrow.

Bill

1 comment:

Dan Brekke said...

You're talking about Highway 25, between Hollister and the middle of nowhere, along the San Andreas Rift. I took that one, too, on a ride to Southern California once. It's still a favorite place to ride.