Wednesday, April 25, 2007

April 25 – Arizona Deserts

Today we rose before the sun, our usual procedure, and I had another fine breakfast at Denny’s. Yum, but it gets me down the road. My friend Dave Thompson remarked that the one aspect of his training he didn’t do was eat Denny’s breakfasts for a week so that his digestive system could adjust to a low fiber high cholesterol diet.

Today’s route went from Blythe CA, over the Arizona border on I10 and after 35 miles on the interstate we turned onto US60 and rode to Wickenburg AZ. Wickenburg is a Western town. It seems to have a tourist trade based on some history of mining and whatever. An Italian restraint is named the Mine Shaft and stop signs say WHOA. Perhaps the tourists love it, but I think it is very tacky.

Today’s ride was not to hard, 117 miles with 4,000 feet of climbing. Temperature was not that bad either probably not getting above the low 90’s. One of the bigger problems was the roads. In general the surfaces were not too bad, but the Arizona Highway Department seems to be in love with rumble strips. Rumble strips are the groves on the side of some roads that let sleeping drivers know they are about to go off the road. In principle they are not a bad thing. However for cyclists they in general separate a shoulder from the main road. This can making salmon courses trough rode debris more difficult it can also make it impossible to ride on the edge of a smooth road and force cyclists onto very rough shoulders. And in Arizona rumble strips are akin to open pit mines. The cuts in the roadway are 8 inches wide 6 inches long and at least 2 inches deep. And they are separated by no more than 6 inches. Going over them with a bike can be a life altering experience, even if you do not crash.

One of the biggest pluses today was the scenery. There were saguaro cacti along the route. I find them to be beautiful, as long as I don’t have to have close contact with them, but another rider thought they were making an obscene gesture to all who passed through their habitat. It is all in the way you look at things. One rider seemed to be more interested in interacting with cacti than I; this just looks like either a flat tire or a stabbing pain in the butt waiting to happen. The county side passed between some very nice mountains but most of the time the road did not venture near the mountains, something I appreciated. We went through the small town of Hope AZ; someone has a sense of humor because as you leave the town there is a sign proclaiming that “You Are Beyond Hope”.

On a day like this we would typically have three rest stops, one for lunch and two for food and water. I have mentioned that the food is OK but not outstanding. Today the third rest stop was set up by a couple that did this ride several years ago. They wanted to give us all the things they wished they had had at the rest stops, also all things that we don’t have either. Their rest stop had big chocolate chip cookies, doughnuts, fruit (melons, strawberries and mangos), soda and shrimp with cocktail sauce. I passed on the shrimp, not my idea of ride food, but many riders really chowed down, apparently with out any GI problems. I do think that this is a great endorsement of America by Bicycle, even if they did poke some fun at the company.

I mentioned my need for a new rear wheel. Well when I finished the ride today I called tomorrow’s motel to see if the wheel had been delivered. I was told by the front desk that it had not been delivered. I called Performance Bicycle and they assured me that FedEx had delivered it and told me who had signed for it. I then called the motel again and, after talking to three people with no knowledge of the package, but who knew that the person who signed for the package worked for the motel, someone was able to find my package. Hopefully all will be well after tomorrow’s ride, and so far the borrowed wheel has given me no problems. For two days I have had NO flats. I am no longer the leader in the dubious category of most flats: I intend to stay out of the lead for the remainder of the trip.

I will finish and go to bed with visions of tomorrows ride to Cottonwood AZ in my head. There is a perfectly wonderful, relatively flat route from Wickenburg to Cottonwood along an interstate, but we are going by way of US 89, it is about the same distance but has by all accounts 10,000 feet of climbing in 100 miles. At least I KNOW that I can finish the route as I have often done rides as hard as tomorrow’s ride will be. The funny thing is to see how many riders from the Midwest and East have never done any ride with anywhere near this much climbing, several are very concerned and a few are scared. I shall let you know what happens.

5 comments:

Bob Lynn said...

I have good college friends who live outside of Wickenburg. We've been there a couple of times. They are very supportive of the art and history community in the area. They like the area very much, but they can escape to their other houses in Minnesota and Colorado when ever they want to. Wickenburg is a good place to visit but I wouldn't want to .......

Hope your new wheel works out. Have fun on the rest of your tour.

Robin R-B said...

It's great hearing your day by day account. Hope you didn't have any more flat tires today. I'm really looking forward to hearing more of your tales, as you travel and when you make it to the East Coast.

Loon said...

Hey Bill, bike your butt behind the buttes, before Big Boss blunders badly. Your blogs are great. I have to go to DC to secrete about the pancreas. Joel

Achramowicz said...

The boys and I are enjoying your tales...keep those pictures coming!They want to join you for those breakfasts, which they thought looked delicious:)
Carole & the boys

T. Lee said...

Krista McCabe passed along the link to your blog. I have to say you look sharp in your MIT gear! I passed the link along to others at MIT (athletic department and to a friend who is connected to the cycling team). She thought it would be cool for the team to "ride you in" when the time comes. Something they are thinking about when they're not thinking about finishing their degrees this spring. I will let you know and see if we can coordinate.

You definitely got me today with with your piece about getting to your goal. Very profound. I welled up.

Hope you stay healthy as you make your way to Cambridge!

Theresa Lee (MIT Alumni Association)