Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Day 1


Newport Beach to Thousand Palms 122 miles 4600 feet of elevation gain.


Today we got up at 5:30 and had a great breakfast at Denney’s. We left at 7 AM and rode to the Pacific where we dipped our rear wheels. Karen was there this year to see the event. I gave her a kiss, told her I loved her and started my ride. Today’s route was the same as last year’s. Well the terrain was the same, same bike path for 30 miles, two climbs and a great 30 mile down hill with a tail wind. The downhill into Palm Springs was run at between 25 and 40 mph. Most importantly today I had NO flats and me rear wheel is still intact. Last year I had four flat and trashed my rear wheel. Today was a much better day!


While I have been very apprehensive about my conditioning this year, I rode near the front of the group all day and got in fully 2 hr before last year. I guess I am better than I thought, but we shall see over the next few days.


My roommate this year is from Florida and seems to be able climb hills as well as ride the flats. He finished with the first group today. He also seems like someone who I will like – he is a fan of Keith Obermann.

No comments: