Friday, April 25, 2008

Day 3

Blyth, CA to Wickenburg, AZ – 114 miles and 2965 feet of climbing. This is less than the Pokeslow ride to Danville, which is considered to be a ‘flat’ ride and is only 50 miles long. In general the winds were favorable, the heat was not too oppressive, there was an 8 mile decent into Wickenburg, the roads were OK to good and there were only two turns. In general the riders from Florida and southern California seem to be doing best in the heat. The major problem today was rumble strips. In Arizona they are like open pit mines, about 4 inches by 3 inches and over 2 inches deep. I am sure that they are great for keeping drowsy drivers on the road, but boy are they a problem for cyclists.

One rider fell after hitting a rumble strip. He hit is helmet on the pavement, among other scrapes and abrasions, there was concern about a concussion. The medics brought in a helicopter and took him to a hospital in Phoenix. He will not be returning to the ride, but should be OK to ride in a month. He was lucky. Unfortunately his wife was riding with him; she also fell but was not badly hurt. I think she will leave the ride, but we shall see. Several years ago on another America by Bicycle ride she fell on her face, she lost 4 teeth and needed 200 stitches. However after 3 or 4 days in the van, she started riding and finished the tour. I am not sure what to make of this. I am inclined to agree with everyone who is not trying to cross the country by bicycle and many who are and say that this was crazy!

Tomorrow we are into the hills/mountains – three 3000 foot climbs. We shall see how the flatlanders from Florida do. However I will have to ask others at the end of the day because, my hill climbing ability, while never good, has not come around this year. I intend to get an early start and try to ride as much as I can in the cool of the morning, but unless the weather changes dramatically it could be quite hot during the climbs. They were hard enough last year - when it was in the 50’s.

A word on heat and water. Last year I carried 4 water bottles. I found it hard to drink enough on many days. This year I have a small Camelback and two bottles. The Camelback is more comfortable than some of the first models that I used 15 years ago. It also keeps the water cold. This is a good thing although I did like to have the water in the Camelback send shivers down my spine. This year I am drinking more. It may be the heat bu I think it is due to the greater ease of drinking from the hose on the Camelback.

No comments: