Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Training

April 6, 2008

Two weeks before the start and I am not doing as well as I would like. I have been fighting the flu, maybe several, all winter. One in January dragged on into mid-February – in all about six weeks. Karen and I spent a few weeks I Mexico, lots of sun and no colds. However on our return we sat next to a couple that coughed for the entire plane ride - three days later we were both sick. Three weeks later I am close to OK and I just completed my first 200 mile week of the year.

Today’s ride, April 6th, was a club - 105 miles from Berkeley to Davis CA (3500 ft of climbing) with a return by train. I did OK, a few min over 6 hours. The short hills really took a toll, but when we had a tailwind, I was holding 21 to 23 mph. I am encouraged but still am apprehensive. This year I know how hard the ride across America will be, 2900 miles in 26 days on the road; even with two rest days it is going to be hard. Last year there were some very hard days and a few times when taking a sag was the only thing that made sense. I hope to avoid that fate this year, but as two of those days last year are also on this years’ route, I have a few apprehensions.

I had hoped to start the ride this year at 185 lbs, last year I was 195, but it seems more likely that I will be 200 lbs at the start. Three weeks ago I knew my legs abs and back where stronger than last year but with this cold I can no longer be sure. I am going to due a 65 mile ride tomorrow. This will give me three days in a row with 60 mile or longer rides. I am still not sure how well my body will be able to recover after several long days in a row.

I am also concerned about Karen. She had an arthroscopic procedure on her knee on Thursday. Both of us thought that her recovery time would be shorter than her surgeon suggested is normal. She likely will have limited mobility when I have to leave. I worry about her being alone in Berkeley. I know that our friends will take good care of her. The good news is that while she has not left the house since the operation she is walking around without crutches and reports that he knee feels better than it did before the operation. I hope she will be OK. If she needed me to take care of her, I would forgo the ride and forfeit the several thousand dollars I have paid in a heartbeat. I hope it does not come to that, but we shall see.

No comments: